Annual Return

1. Does my company need an Annual Return?

Annual Returns and accounts are aimed at confirming and updating business information of registered companies in the UK, issuing an annual certificate to ensure the legality of business. All the limited companies registered in the UK must submit an Annual Return and accounts each year. an Annual Return includes details of the directors, company address, shareholders, etc. Company accounts include annual financial statements.

2. When do I need to submit Annual Return documents?

The due date is usually a year after either the: • incorporation of your company • date you filed your last Annual Return Annual Returns need to be filed to Companies House, company accounts need to send to Companies House and HMRC, all the due dates are as below. You also need to pay corporation tax on time.

Action Deadline
File first accounts with Companies House 21 months after the date you registered with Companies House File annual accounts with Companies House
File annual accounts with Companies House 9 months after your company’s financial year ends
Pay Corporation Tax or tell HMRC that your limited company doesn’t owe any 9 months and 1 day after your ‘accounting period’ for Corporation Tax ends
File a Company Tax Return 12 months after your accounting period for Corporation Tax ends

3. Cost of Annual Return & Company Accounts

- Company registration fee
- Corporation tax
The date closing for corporation tax is the 31st March each year, tax rate will be based on the government budget which usually announced between March and April every year.

Small Enterprise General Enterprise (Medium/Large)
2017 Tax Rate 19% 19%
2016 Tax Rate 20% 20%
2015 Tax Rate 20% 21.25%/21%

  1. Small Enterprise – profit less than £300,000 before tax
  2. Medium Enterprise – annual profit between £300,000 and £1.5 million, you may be able to claim Marginal Relief to reduce your Corporation Tax.
  3. Large Enterprise – profit more than £1.5 million before tax
  4. The enterprise definitions used above are only compliant with Tax Department rules. However, the definitions will be different to company registration and financial statement disclosure.

For more details, please visit GOV website:


The above information and calculations are for illustrative purposes only. No liability is accepted by O’Brien S & Co Ltd for any actions or losses from investment in reliance on the information and calculations. Consult a qualified professional financial advisor before making any financial decisions. O’Brien S & Co Ltd holds the copyrights in all materials on the website. All rights reserved.

Back to Information